Local 1014 Update
Friday, August 10, 2018
This week, members of your Local 1014 Executive Board joined thousands of Firefighter Union leaders from across the US and Canada to attend the 54th International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) Convention in Seattle, Washington. This year, the IAFF celebrated 100 years of progress through unity in the professional fire service. Every two years, this convention offers an opportunity for our union’s international body to focus on our legislative and operational priorities.
Members of your Local 1014 Executive Board testified on, and voted for, critically important resolutions including:
- Establishing a Behavioral Health Center on the West Coast to provide similar services to the IAFF Center of Excellence for Behavioral Health in Maryland.
- Funding a study on the effects of cell and radio antenna radiation on Firefighters.
- Increasing funding for cancer research.
- Supporting a National Firefighter Cancer Awareness Month.
- Encouraging the expansions of the IAFF PEER Support Program.
- Increasing funding for the IAFF Disaster Relief Fund to benefit members.
- and more.
Click here (https://convention2018.iaff.org/resolution-action/) for a full list of convention resolutions.
IAFF General President Emeritus and Former Local 1014 President Al Whitehead was honored by the IAFF Executive Board and the convention attendees. He spoke to the importance of unity in this time of uncertainty for unions and their members and offered a unique perspective on the progress the union has made towards protecting the health and safety of our members.
Click here (https://www.facebook.com/Local1014/videos/10156235585271195/) to watch a clip of Brother Whiteheads speech. Local 1014 is proud to be a part of a long legacy of increases wages, benefits and working conditions for our members and members across this great nation and Canada through political action and advocacy.
While at Convention, our negotiations continued with the County on our successor MOU. We are scheduled to meet with the CEOs office early next week. We will keep you updated as we continue to aggressively bargain with the County on behalf of our members.